What Is NIST 800-53?
NIST SP 800-53 was introduced to protect the sensitive and critical information and systems that are managed by Federal Government systems. The National Institute of Standards and Technology Special Publication 800-53 (NIST 800-53) is a regulatory document that recommends how US government agencies should build, implement, and manage their information security systems and data.
NIST 800-53 compliance is part of NIST’s Cybersecurity Framework, which provides a unified framework for IT security that details standards, best practices, and strategies that help organizations manage security risks to critical infrastructure. NIST 800-53 outlines 18 cybersecurity control categories, including:
- security assessment and authorization
- system and communications protection
- access control
- disaster recoverability
To maintain NIST 800-53 compliance, baselines are set and controls are adapted in accordance with the risk assessment results.
All US Federal Agencies Are Required to Comply with NIST 800-53
All Federal Agencies (except those related to national security) are expected to be compliant with NIST 800-53 cybersecurity standards and guidelines.
It is highly recommended that businessess in the private sector looking to implement robust information security practices or to strengthen their existing ones adapt NIST 800-53. Adhering to NIST 800-53 can also help businesses strengthen their compliance with other cybersecurity program regulations.
NIST 800-53 Compliance Readiness with Abacode
As industry-leading certified cybersecurity & compliance experts (CISSP, CIA, CISA, CEH, PMP), Abacode leverages the NIST 800-53 to assess your organization’s cybersecurity posture and to drive the design and implementation of a comprehensive cybersecurity compliance program tailored to your business. Our experts offer your organization:
- Experience – NIST 800-53 compliance is our one of our core services. Abacode continuously prepares organizations for NIST 800-53 compliance throughout the year and helps them successfully maintain compliance moving forward.
- Accessibility – Abacode’s compliance portal helps streamline continuous compliance and security control effectiveness tracking for organizations before, during, and after audits.
- Support – as your Managed Security Service Provider (MSSP), we are proud to offer unparalleled client support. Our certified experts have a thorough understanding of NIST 800-53 and how it applies to your organization.