NIST 800 53
What Is NIST 800 53?
NIST SP 800-53 was introduced to protect the sensitive and critical information and systems that are managed by Federal Government systems. The National Institute of Standards and Technology Special Publication 800-53 (NIST 800-53) is a regulatory document that recommends how US government agencies should build, implement, and manage their information security systems and data.
NIST 800 53 compliance is part of NIST’s Cybersecurity Framework, which provides a unified framework for IT security that details standards, best practices, and strategies that help organizations manage security risks to critical infrastructure. NIST 800 53 outlines 18 cybersecurity control categories, including:
- security assessment and authorization
- system and communications protection
- access control
- disaster recoverability
To maintain NIST 800 53 compliance, baselines are set and controls are adapted in accordance with the risk assessment results.
All US Federal Agencies Are Required to Comply with NIST 800 53
All Federal Agencies (except those related to national security) are expected to be compliant with NIST 800 53 cybersecurity standards and guidelines.
It is highly recommended that businessess in the private sector looking to implement robust information security practices or to strengthen their existing ones adapt NIST 800 53. Adhering to NIST 800 53 can also help businesses strengthen their compliance with other cybersecurity program regulations.
NIST 800 53 Compliance Readiness with Abacode
As industry-leading certified cybersecurity & compliance experts (CISSP, CIA, CISA, CEH, PMP), Abacode leverages the NIST 800 53 to assess your organization’s cybersecurity posture and to drive the design and implementation of a comprehensive cybersecurity compliance program tailored to your business. Our experts offer your organization:
- Experience – NIST 800 53 compliance is our one of our core services. Abacode continuously prepares organizations for NIST 800 53 compliance throughout the year and helps them successfully maintain compliance moving forward.
- Accessibility – Abacode’s compliance portal helps streamline continuous compliance and security control effectiveness tracking for organizations before, during, and after audits.
- Support – as your Managed Security Service Provider (MSSP), we are proud to offer unparalleled client support. Our certified experts have a thorough understanding of NIST 800 53 and how it applies to your organization.